Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

This book is amazing and definitely ranks in the top tier of what I’ve read this year. Kestrel and Arin’s story is enticing and pulls you right in. There are so many nuances and intricacies to the world that Rutkoski has built. The history of the Valorians and the Herrans is fantastic and captivating. Rutkoski blends politics, revolution, and history together with the story of Arin and Kestrel to create this novel.

The characters alone in this novel are so intricate and have so many layers they shape who they are. Kestrel and Arin both have countless reasons for their actions and have many difficult choices to make as the novel progresses. Other than Kestrel and Arin, the side characters are just as intriguing. The romance is a large part of this novel, but it didn’t take central stage which I appreciated. It was more of a friendship that blossomed into something more.

I felt like the beginning of this book was a little weak as Rutkoski built the world and set the stage for the Revolution. But that did not diminish my love of the book at all. Lots of books need time to explain the world and build up what is going to happen. Once the revolution happened, the pace picked up and the twists and turns began. There were so many times throughout this book where Arin or Kestrel’s choices were unexpected. I was convinced they were going to do one thing and then they would do something else entirely.

Overall, this was an amazing read and I cannot wait to read more about Kestrel and Arin and the aftermath of the revolution. This book pulled me right in and I couldn’t stop reading it. I’m not really sure how this book should be classified, it definitely has elements of historical fiction, but there is a fantasy feel as well. Regardless, I would recommend this book to anyone that wants a book with true intrigue, drama, and action.

5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment