Saturday, November 1, 2014

Wake by Amanda Hocking

I’ve been on a little bit of a mermaid kick recently. Anna Banks’s Syrena Legacy is amazing. And I’ve had Wake for awhile now and finally decided I needed to read another mermaid (yes this one is technically sirens, but same idea) book. I enjoyed the alternating perspectives between Harper and Gemma. It was amusing how different but yet similar the sisters were. It was informative to see everything from Gemma’s perspective as she learned about what she had become and to see things from Harper’s perspective as she saw her sister change and saw other people’s reactions to that change.

I also enjoyed watching their different relationships unfold. I have to say I absolutely loved Daniel’s character. He is that obnoxious boy who always annoyed Harper until she gets to known him better (AKA typical bad-boy in YA novels). And Alex is such a sweet guy and I absolutely loved him and Gemma together.As for the mythology aspect of this novel, I loved the back-story we got from Penn, Lexi, and Thea about sirens and the Demeter’s curse. I also liked that it wasn’t until half way through the book that we learned about the sirens.

One thing that really bothered me in this book was the fact that Gemma and Harper referred to the Dad as Brian. During dialogue he was Dad but everywhere else he was Brian. It was just weird. They did the same thing when they met their Mom, Nathalie. It was just awkward and I’m not really sure if their was any benefit to it being that way.

Overall, this was a fun read and a great introduction to the series. I adored Hocking’s writing style and the way she pulled you into the story. I liked that Hocking built up Capri and Gemma and Harper’s lives before she introduced the Siren aspect and the troubles that lie ahead. The ending seemed a little rushed, but I liked the fast-paced aspect of the book.

3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment