Friday, June 26, 2015

Review: Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck


Title: Tiger's Curse
Author: Colleen Houck
Publication Date:  January 11th, 2011
Publisher: Sterling
Source: Bought it
Where to find: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository
Summary: Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.
He seemed very pleased with himself for surviving a near-death experience. I could practically hear him chanting to himself: I overcame. I conquered. I’m a man etc etc.”
This book was utterly fantastic. Between the lore, the myths, the world, and the characters, there were so many different facets to this amazing story. I went into this book not having heard anyone else really comment on the series and I had no expectations whatsoever, but let me just say I was blown away by this book. The detail and the writing were amazing and while there was a lot of information to divulge, it was an easy read.

The book also moved at a very comfortable pace with progress constantly being made in the quest to undo the curse on Ren and Kishan. From the little bit we saw of Kishan, I think he is a fascinating character and I cannot wait to learn more about him. However, I do not like that this book set up what I assume is a love triangle between Kelsey and the two brothers. And that set up is the reason I docked half a star. I'm tired of love triangles and I was really hoping this series did not have one, but it looks like there will be. However, hopefully I'm wrong and it will just be a strong friendship between Kelsey and Kishan.

As the first in the series, this book did an excellent job of introducing the adventure and giving us the back-story on the events surrounding the curse. While we did get a lot of information, we were also kept in the dark a lot too, which I actually appreciated. We know the "villain" who enacted the curse is still alive, however we do not know anything about what his current motivations and actions are. I'm sure the next book is going to have a lot more to do with him as the gang gets closer and closer to breaking the curse.


Let me know your thoughts in the comments if you've read the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment