Wednesday, January 21, 2015

H2O by Virginia Bergin

I’m going to be completely honest and just say that the only reason I bought this book was the cover. It is gorgeous and the little cut outs with words and the raindrop shaped words under the dust jacket are awesome. It is a simplistic but beautiful cover.

As for the actual book, it was not at all what I was thinking when I picked it up. I knew it was about killer rain and that it clearly would be a story of survival, but I did not know much else. This book is told in an extremely informal first person viewpoint in a diary style. This choice makes sense later in the book, but it was completely different from other books that I have read recently. And that is not to say it was bad, it was just different.

The plot of this book focuses on Ruby attempting to survival the rain and the destruction of society. Once her family is gone, she embarks on an adventure to find her dad. While that plot may seem straight forward, it really was not that way for the majority of this book. There were many times where I did not know where this book was going.

As a character Ruby was incredibly annoying, she reminded me of those stereotypical “popular” girls that everyone dislikes. She was constantly worried about her appearance rather than the fact that everyone was dying. I found it very unrealistic that she was able to survive throughout this book when it seemed that almost no one else did.

Finally, I’m not sure at all about that ending. I have no idea if there are plans for a second book or not (I would assume so based on the non-ending), but who knows. However, this book came full circle to the point that you could argue Ruby accomplished absolutely nothing throughout this book. This was a disappointing read for me. I was so excited when I saw it at the store and the premise was promising, but overall, it lacked aspects that could have made it an enjoyable book.

*A note, this book is also known as Rain in the UK*

♛ ♛

No comments:

Post a Comment