Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

"I was having dinner with Zombie Carl the other night. You know, steak, rare, and a bottle of vintage type A. He told me all his secrets, but too bad for you I promised him I wouldn't tell. In exchange I asked him to gather his best undead buddies and stalk me through my friend's yard."

I have heard a lot of people talk about this trilogy both good and bad things. I got all three books for Christmas, so i plan on reading them as soon as possible. They all have gorgeous covers and this one has a green theme under the dust jacket.

This book is not a fairy-tale retelling, and it has very little to do with Alice in Wonderland (save the title and Ali’s name). I think it is important that people realize this before reading the book and being disappointed. This was an easy enjoyable read that when I had time to read, I flew through. The cast of characters in this book is great. Between Cole and Justin, Kat and Frosty, Nana and Pops, and the rest of the zombie slayer gang, there are so many different personalities that we get to experience.

This book answered a lot of questions about the zombies and slayers but also raised a lot of questions about the hazmats are up to and what Ali is actually capable of. I’m looking forward to seeing where Gena Showalter goes with the rest of this trilogy.

As for the zombies, I really liked Gena’s spin on them and how they worked. These were more ghost like than your typical zombie and that made for some interesting choices in terms of how one defeats them. The romance in this book was also well done. It was a good progression and it is clear there are going to be problems in Cole and Ali’s future.


✶ ✶ ✶ stars    

No comments:

Post a Comment