This book was really great. I loves all the little snapshots into Magnus Bane's life. You could definitely tell this was written by people other than Cassandra, but I really enjoy both Sarah and Maureen's writing so I was not too bothered by it. My review is mostly going to be a bit about each story with a separate rating (that part is going to be spoilery). Overall this was a 4 star book. And that is largely due to how much I like Magnus as a character.
What Really Happened in Peru: ♛♛♛♛
- This was witty, crazy Magnus as I have come to expect it. Basically a bunch of crazy things that happened in Peru.
- Interesting story about the French Revolution and Magnus's role with the royalty and with Parisian Vampires, this one was pretty meh for me. But we got to see how much Magnus cares and does help people.
- This was a nice insight into the planning of the Accords and also seeing Will's father and mother briefly.
- This one was perfect with Tessa, Will, and Jem. I also loved the glimpse of James we got. I feel like this shows a little bit of what to expect in The Last Hours. Definitely my favorite story of the 11.
- This seemed like filler but did give background on the Hotel Dumont. I enjoyed the bits about Magnus running a speakeasy.
- Nice backstory to Magnus and Raphael's relationship and interaction in City of Heavenly Fire. Plus we get to see Magnus helping someone yet again.
- I'm not a big fan of these vampire stories I guess. This one was extremely meh for me. But we did see the lengths Magnus will go to to protect and help the Downworlders.
- This story was adorable and quirky. I absolutely loved it. Magnus fussing about what to get Alec, when all Alec wanted was to spend time with him.
- Tessa, Clary, and Jocelyn background in this one. This story was a nice sidestory to the Uprising and Valentine's first War with the Shadowhunters. Again we see Magnus helping out Clary (even if he is reluctant at first).
- That first date was epic. I thought it was perfect for the two characters. And seeing the insecurity of both Alec and Magnus was great.
- Cute, quirky, and hilarious. I loved everyone's voicemails telling, or somethings threatening, Magnus to get back together with Alec. I would have liked to see Magnus's reaction to all of these, but I guess the tidbit at the end gives us a clue as to how he reacted.