Friday, May 8, 2015

Review: The Heir by Kiera Cass


Title: The Heir 
Author: Kiera Cass
Publication Date:  May 5th, 2015
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Bought it
Where to find: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository
Summary: Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won Prince Maxon’s heart. Now the time has come for Princess Eadlyn to hold a Selection of her own. Eadlyn doesn’t expect her Selection to be anything like her parents’ fairy-tale love story. But as the competition begins, she may discover that finding her own happily ever after isn’t as impossible as she always thought.
Didn't they know who I was, what they'd trained me for? I was Eadlyn Schreave. No one was more powerful than me.So if they thought I was going down without a fight, they were sadly mistaken.
I really enjoyed the original Selection Trilogy, I loved the story between Maxon and America and I loved how quick I flew through the books. The writing was fun and I loved the light nature of the books. So when Kiera Cass announced two more books in the series following the next generation, I was really excited. However, while I was really excited, I was also very apprehensive about it because I had a feeling this was one of those, let's make more money out of this series even though it already ended sort of thing.

And I have to say, I was really disappointed in this installment. It felt like Kiera Cass was making drama for no reason other than to take away from the fluffy aspect of the first three books. I found Eadlyn to be annoying (and yes, America was annoying, but Eadlyn was worse). The romance between Eadlyn and the suitors was cute, but I feel like in this book she is so against The Selection as a whole that we do not even get to see her truly try to get to know the guys. I also feel like the main three (not going to give names, because spoilers) are all cliche picks and I do not like that. I definitely have a favorite, but at the same time I do not think picking him is the best move, either.

So while I was disappointed with this book, the plot and some of the characters, I still love the world and idea of The Selection. With how the book ended however, I'm going to be forced to pick up the fifth one.

Overall, I was really disappointed with this book. While I still enjoyed the writing and the premise, I do not think continuing this series was necessary.  I may be in the minority by saying this though, and I totally get if you really loved this book, but for me it was a let down after the original trilogy. This book is getting 3 Crowns because while it irked me to no end, it was still enjoyable and I love the world.

Let me know if you have read this book and what your thoughts are?

No comments:

Post a Comment