Saturday, September 13, 2014

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead


Vampire Academy is one of those series that everyone talks about. It is always compared to Twilight and other vampire series. I have been told by multiple people how much better Vampire Academy is. So I decided I would finally get around to reading the first in the series. I went into it with high hopes that it would be good, if not great. And I have to admit that while I didn’t love Twilight, I was a part of the craze surrounding it when it first came out. I went to the midnight releases and discussed the series with others. So back to Vampire Academy, I was really looking forward to this book and the characters within. I have to say though that I’m slightly disappointed.

While I enjoyed Rose’s narrative and the story that was being told. I really struggled with continuing to read. I think I just couldn’t get myself fully absorbed in the narrative to binge read this book like I do with many others.

That is not to say that this is a bad book, I just don’t think it is as compelling of a story for me. I love the mystery surrounding the Moroi and dhampirs. And I have to say I did not see the twist coming. I was pleasantly surprised by who was behind the attacks on Lissa.

The interactions with Dimitri were as expected for a YA novel. They left you wanting more between them, but at the same time you loved every moment they were together.

I thought the ending was a bit rushed with two major attacks happening in the last 30 pages or so. But I guess that allowed for a semblance of a conclusion before the next book.

Overall, this book did not live up to the hype for me. I just couldn’t get into it like I wanted to. I definitely am not dying to read Frostbite, but I may in the future.

3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment