Monday, April 6, 2015

Review: Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes

 





“A gown does not make a bride, just as a few empty threats do not make a rebel.”


Title: Rebel Spring
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Publication Date: Dec 3rd, 2013
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Bought it
Where to find: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository





First let me just say this book totally worked with getting me out of my slump. I flew through it and clearly all I needed was a good fantasy book to get me out of my funk. That being said, I really enjoyed this second book in the Falling Kingdoms series. Again, this review is going to be very basic because it is the 2nd in a series. But I highly recommend you start this series if you have not already. You can read my review of Falling Kingdoms here.

This is one of those series that has a multitude of different characters and plot lines to follow and I absolutely love it. While at times it can be a little confusing to follow all the different story lines, they all weave together into this epic fantasy.

The strong point of this book was definitely the characters. I love each and everyone one of them. Magnus is by far my favorite character. He is so complex with all these different intricacies that make him into this character you cannot help but feel bad for and want to see him succeed. There is definitely a lot of character growth in this book for him. He is grappling with the changes brought about in Falling Kingdoms and where he stands in the fight against King Gaius.

Speaking of Gaius, I absolutely hate him. Which I know is a given in this series, but he is overly maniacal and cruel. He leads through fear, rather than respect. I hated how much he hurt everyone around him, whether it was Cleo, Aron, Jonas, and even his own family of Magnus and Lucia. I cannot wait for when we finally see his downfall, in what I assume will be the final book.

Another character I love is Cleo. She is dealing with a lot in this book, but she still has time to be compassionate and a strong character. I really loved her and Magnus in this book and I really want them to become more than friends. Right now it kind of seems like we are leading to that which is awesome!

There are a bunch of other characters in this book I could talk about, but I don’t want this review to be all me gushing about the characters. In this installment, we definitely learned more about the prophecy and how the rest of the series is going to unfold with the search for the Kindred. I cannot wait to pick up Gathering Darkness and be completely caught up with the series, even if I have to then wait until December for Frozen Tides.

♛ ♛ ♛ ♛

Let me know in the comments if you have read the book and what your thoughts are.

No comments:

Post a Comment