Monday, April 13, 2015

Review: Rumors by Anna Godbersen




“So this was betrayal. It was like being left alone in the desert at dusk without water or warmth. It left your mouth dry and will broken. It sapped your tears and made you hollow.”

Title: Rumors
Author: Anna Godbersen
Publication Date: June 3rd, 2008 
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Bought it
Where to find: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository







I have a very weird relationship with this series. I never know what to think about it. I love the writing and the setting, but the plot, characters, and storyline tend to annoying me. For me the best part of this series is the setting and the beginning of every chapter with the little newspaper snippets and gossip. I find these to be a great touch to the overall book and series as a whole.

As for the characters, they are so annoying to me. Each one makes choices without thinking about the potential repercussions as well as thinking they should always get their way. They are devious and will stop at nothing to get what they want. The only character who does not annoying me to no end is Elizabeth, but I even question some of her choices.

I can however say that the end of this book did surprise me. And it also cemented that I will have to pick up the final two books in the series to figure out what happens. Along with the plot, I have to say that this book was so incredibly slow and really nothing happened. We just follow the lives of the different characters to the end. While some choices and actions did come about, I still feel like as a whole, I do not know what the message or goal of this series is.

This series is definitely not for everyone. For me, I like it as a mindless read that takes little to no effort to get through. It is one of those fluffy books that you can read when you do not want to have to think about what is going on. It is also very Gossip Girl-esque with the scheming and plotting. So yes I will be picking up the next in the series, but that is largely due to the ending of this one and less to do with my actual enjoyment of the series.

♛ ♛ ♛

Have you read any of this series? What are you thoughts? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment