Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Jewel by Amy Ewing

WHY DID IT HAVE TO END LIKE THAT??? That is not a nice cliffhanger at all Amy Ewing. I don’t approve! Other the the “horribleness” of the ending, I really enjoyed this book. I have heard people compare this to the Selection Series, but honestly I see no connection. These girls are auctioned off to the wealthy to bear their children and then are tossed away after they have served their purpose. The Duchesses and Countesses are all in a competition to obtain the best surrogate and will go to any length to obtain what they want.

The world is beyond ridiculous where girls are literally bred to be surrogates for the wealthy and powerful. However, underneath that there are the rebels with Lucien, Violet, and the other person who I won’t name so I don’t spoil anything. The “magic” within the book (AKA the auguries) are an interesting facet. One to control color, one for shape, and one for growth. With these three powers, the surrogates and doctors are able to create whatever is desired in the child.

As for the characters, Violet was your typical strong-willed female who completely despises the system. Lucien is there to help her along her way and is a source of information for what is really going on. Then there is the love interest Ash. I thought this match was a little forced and cliche. Of course she had to fall in love with the one guy who was unavailable and would get her in the most trouble. Even though we don’t see a lot of Garnet, I feel like he will be a very important character and confidant for Violet as she grapples with what happens at the end of The Jewel. Plus he is your stereotypical bad boy, who completely defies everything expected of the royals.

Overall, I really enjoyed this new dystopian novel and obviously need the next one now. I need to know what is going to happen to Violet now that that thing happened (I know that sounds stupid, but obviously don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read it). I have to say though, with the books I have been reading lately, I appreciate the cliffhanger even if it infuriated me to no end. And because I literally just finished the book, the cliffhanger is still fresh in my mind for me to agonize about why Amy Ewing decided to leave us hanging like that.

4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment