Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Review: The DUFF



“I was the Duff. And that was a good thing. Because anyone who didn't feel like the Duff must not have friends. Every girl feels unattractive sometimes. Why had it taken me so long to figure that out? Why had I been stressing over that dumb word for so long when it was so simple? I should be proud to be the Duff. Proud to have great friends who, in their minds, were my Duffs.” 

Title: The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend 
Author: Kody Keplinger
Publication Date: September 7th, 2010 
Publisher:  Little Brown
Where to find: Goodreads / Amazon






This was a pure impulse read. I literally decided at 11 o'clock at night last Friday that I was going to read this. Then it was 1 o'clock in the morning and I was reading the last chapter. I read this book in one sitting, with one break to get a drink. I read this book incredibly fast. This was in part because I enjoyed it, but also because it is a very short book.

This book deals with the issue of being that one friend in the group that does not quite fit in. At least that person believes they do not. In this book that girl is Bianca. However, Bianca does not learn about her status as the DUFF (or Designated Ugly Fat Friend) until one night when Wesley decided he wants to hook up with one of her friends so he is nice to Bianca. He lets it slip that she is the DUFF and if he is nice to the DUFF her friends will like him more.

I could relate to Bianca's feelings about being the one friend who did not quite fit in. There have been many times where I've been the only single one in my friend group, the only one who does not have weekend plans, or even the boring one at a party who just kind of sits there. However, I appreciated that Bianca did not let it fully consume her once she realized she was the DUFF. Yes she was constantly thinking about it, but she still did something about it.

I absolutely loved the progression of the relationship between Bianca and Wesley. I loved all the scenes with them getting to know each other and slowly opening up to each other about their messed up lives. And I was really happen with how everything tied up in the book.

Overall, this was a solid contemporary. I'm not a fan of contemporary books for the most part, but I appreciated this one. I also really want to see the movie, so I was motivated to read the book (because you always have to read the book first).

♛ ♛ ♛ ♛

Let me know in the comments if you have read the book and what your thoughts are. Plus if you have seen or want to see the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment