Friday, February 27, 2015

Review: The Warrior Heir



“More and more, there were no revelations, but simply the uncovering of truths long known but dimly remembered. Everything had been written long ago. There was nothing truly new in the world, but only the slow, circular march of time that revealed the old things once again.”  

Title: The Warrior Heir
Author: Cinda Williams Chima
Publication Date: April 2nd, 2006 
Publisher:  Hyperion
Source: Bought it
Where to find: Goodreads / Amazon






This was a reread for me. Granted I read this over 5 years ago. This is why I decided to reread it. I never continued with the series and I really want to so I decided to reread the first one. Prior to starting this book, I literally remembered nothing. I had the most basic idea of the end. After I got like 50 pages into this book, a bunch of the plot points came back to me.

As for the actual book, I somewhat enjoyed this book. The world that Chima has created is expansive and I love it. Chima also did a good job just giving us the information we needed never anything more. For me the writing at times was flat, I feel like you could almost categorize this book as middle grade rather than YA. But for the most part, the writing did not hinder my enjoyment.

The story of a “normal” teenager finding out he is special is not unique, but Chima takes an interesting approach to it. Our main character, Jack, is born without a wizard stone (what gives people their powers) and is given a warrior stone instead. Jack is hidden in Ohio to protect him from the feud going on among the Weir people. But of course you cannot hide forever and Jack is thrust into this new world where he must fight to stay alive. Since I have read the book before I knew the ending, but I did not remember all the plot twists which helped with my enjoyment.

One last thing I want to mention is the prologue. I have read many mixed things about it. Yes it is really long at 18 pages. But I really liked it. It sets up this whole mystery of why they were after the family and what happened to the family after the attack. Personally, I'm a huge fan of prologues especially when their meaning and importance is not at all apparent at first.

This was a hard review to write for me because I remember really enjoying this book when I first read it, but after rereading it, I’m not in love. It is really hard to write a review for a book you have reread especially when you had high expectations and the reread was not as good as you remembered. I think part of that is because I’m older and have read many other fantasy books that I love. For me, The Warrior Heir is an interesting world with intrigue, but there was just something missing. I definitely want to read the other books in the series.

♛ ♛ ♛

Let me know in the comments if you have read the book and what your thoughts are.

No comments:

Post a Comment