Saturday, March 21, 2015

#Gautierathon

So this week I marathoned the 5 books that are currently out in the Chronicles of Nick Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I personally called this endeavor the #Gautierathon. I read all five books in six days, and that was a huge undertaking for me. I spent any time I was not sleeping or at work reading so that I could get through all 5 books during my Spring Break. Now since I read all these books back-to-back, my ability to differentiate between the 5 is not as good as it would be if I had read them further apart. But I can say I'm an now eagerly anticipating the next book in the series, Instinct.


As for the series as a whole, I really enjoyed it. I adore the writing and how everything weaves together in the different books. I loved the humor and sassiness of the characters as well as the action packed plot and introduction of all the different characters. Kenyon has said this series will be 15 books which is quite a lot and that is not even counting all the Dark Hunter books that contain the same characters. I'm still undecided about whether or not I'm going to pick up that series, but I really want to. I just know it is a huge undertaking. One last thought on the series as a whole before I go into full on spoiler review, I love that each book is a one word title that starts with an I. I really hope Kenyon can continue to do this for the rest of the series. It is a nice touch. Plus I love the matching covers.


SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

This series follows lovable Nick who is a fantastic character. He is destined to be the destroyer of the world, but yet he cowers from his Mom and has the weirdest group of friends. It is even more amusing once you add in all the paranormal beings to his world. Throughout the five books we see Nick battle zombies, shapeshifters, demons, etc. all while trying to live a normal teenage life with an overprotective mother. I love how there is not really any paranormal being that is not introduced in this series. I love all the different fantasy and paranormal elements.


While I love Nick's mom and everything she means to him and keeping him from going full-blown evil, there were so many times when she would annoy me to no end. She would never let Nick get his side of the story in and always assumed the worst. It was so frustrating to see Nick be bullied at school only to come home and have his mom attack him for sticking up for her. Their relationship starts to change in Infamous, which I really appreciated.

I luckily did not have to deal with all the cliff-hangers at the ends of the books (well except for the end of Illusion). And let me just say I really need to know what is going on with Xev. So I cannot sympathize with everyone who had to wait between books to figure out the "foreshadowing" at the ends of the books. I am so lucky I could pick up Inferno right after Grim told Nick about Kody in Infamous and that I could pick up Illusion after Nick was put in the alternate realty at the end of Inferno.

There are so many characters in this series who we are introduced to and I never know if I should trust them. When we met Thorn in the nether I was super excited. I loved his banter with Nick and figured since he was helping him avoid Noir he was a safe ally. But it appears I was wrong, since he was behind a lot of the attacks in Illusion. But I'm still holding on hope that he is not a complete enemy. I also absolutely love Caleb. He may be enslaved to the Malachi, but he still berets and torments Nick. I truly think he may be one of the only ones we can truly trust (other than Nick's mom of course).

One last thing I want to touch on is something that happens in Infamous. The whole plot of Infamous revolves around a website that is basically bullying everyone at Nick's school. Bullying is definitely a theme in this series that Nick deals with. During Inferno, there is a letter written by Brynna where she writes to her tormentor. It was so wonderfully written and so heartfelt. I love that Kenyon took the time to write out the letter in whole, rather than just referencing it or putting parts of it in the book. The letter just really stuck with me and I think it could be really important to show anyone who is dealing with bullying that it is not okay and that they should not give up.

Last part of this review is a ranking of the books and the ratings I gave each individual one.
  1. Infamous- ♛ ♛ ♛ ♛½
  2. Illusion- ♛ ♛ ♛ ♛
  3. Infinity- ♛ ♛ ♛ ♛
  4. Invincible- ♛ ♛ ♛½
  5. Inferno- ♛ ♛ ♛
I did short reviews for each book on Goodreads if you want to see a little bit more about my thoughts on a specific book.  Overall I really enjoyed this series so far and would say it is a solid 4 Crown series. I cannot wait to continue on with the series as Instinct comes out on March 31st!

No comments:

Post a Comment