Saturday, December 20, 2014

Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

This book was extremely well written. I absolutely loved the characters and the writing style. Mindy McGinnis has a way of writing that really pulled me in and kept me continuing to read wanted to know what would happen to Lucy, Lynn, Eli, Neva, and Stebbs. I loved Lynn as the main character. She was so strong willed which is rare in many books. She was ready and willing to do whatever was necessary to protect the pond and her house. It is finding Eli, Neva, and Lucy that change her and cause her to show her selfless, caring side.

Lucy was an adorable little girl who really helped Lynn see that there was more to life than pure survival, that she could have fun and play in the snow. Stebbs was the father-like figure in Lynn’s life especially after her mom passed away. And then there was Eli, the love-interest. One thing that was a little strange to me is that I didn’t feel like I knew the ages of the various characters. The way I read it Lynn was late teens early 20s, Lucy was around 7 or 8, Eli was 30s, and Stebbs was 40s. But I don’t think we ever really know how old they are.

McGinnis took such a unique story to tell and it was refreshing. The idea of a world with no water or at least limited water is incredibly scary and McGinnis showcases the importance of banding together to survive. This book was very character driven and was a story of survival. The book focuses on what Lynn and her group needed to do to survive and they choices they made to reach survival.

One thing I wish we could have seen or learned more about is the cities and the history behind the water shortage. I wanted to know why this was happening and how the world went from running water to leaving the rural areas to pay for water in the cities. Plus the whole Cholera thing, I would have loved more background on the world.

✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ and 1/2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment