Friday, December 19, 2014

Ascend by Amanda Hocking

The Trylle Series by Amanda Hocking consists of Switched (review here), Torn, and Ascend. These books focus on Wendy, who learns she is a troll when she is 17. The trilogy focuses on Wendy learning about what she is and who she is within Trylle society. It is then up to her to protect her tribe of trolls along with other tribes from the evil King, Oren. 

Ascend, the third book in this series, did not disappoint. I really enjoy Amanda Hocking’s writing style. I’m not sure what it is but I am captivated by it and it is never unsatisfying. I think Hocking did a good job tying up this trilogy without it seeming forced or too simple. Wendy had to face her father and was able to defeat him and protect her family. One thing that bothered me just from a practical standpoint was the lack of true casualties. While I understand they have healers, it would have been more realistic to have more casualties.

I’m very happy with how this book went and it was another quick read for me. While these books are not amazing, they are incredible enjoyable and that is why I have given them such high ratings. This is a solid trilogy about trolls. And the trolls alone was enough to entice me when reading this series. The writing style was an added bonus.

This is a short review but since it is the last book in the trilogy I do not want to spoil anything for anyone.  I'm also really looking forward to Frostfire which follows Bryn who is a tracker in the Kanin tribe. It will be really interesting to learn about another tribe.

Ascend: ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ stars
Trilogy as a whole: ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ stars

No comments:

Post a Comment