Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Blankets by Craig Thompson

“I wanted a heaven. And I grew up striving for that world-- an eternal world- that would wash away my temporary misery.”

This is an interesting graphic novel in the sense that it is autobiographical. It is the coming-of-age story of Craig Thompson. The novel depicts Craig’s home life with his religious parents, brother, and first love Raina. The story focuses on the desolate conditions of Craig’s life. Between his parents and school, Craig’s life leaves much to be desired. Craig finds solace in Raina though and the two become extremely close. This story is not a happily ever after, instead it is the story of Craig’s life and how he distances himself from his faith and his family.

I really liked how this novel unfolded. It began with Craig’s childhood and sharing a bed with his brother. Then we when to summer camp and meeting Raina. The story was told with Craig as a teen with “flashbacks” to his childhood and other events in his life. I loved how Craig’s childhood was woven into his teenage years and spending time with Raina.

For a graphic novel this novel has won a lot of awards, and it was also the first graphic novel I have read. And I’m not going to lie, the main reason I read this novel was because it is the Booksplosion Book of the Month for December. However, I’m glad I read it. From what I have gathered, this novel is very unique in the realm of graphic novels, it also happens to be quite long at over 600 pages.

The illustrations in this novel were completely black and white, but I think that fit the tone of the novel well. This novel is also definitely for more mature audiences between the content and the illustrations. However, I still really got a sense of the difficulty of Craig’s life and what he had to overcome. This was a really fast read for me. I definitely will be picking up more graphic novels in the future.


✶ ✶ ✶stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment