Thursday, December 11, 2014

Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger

This was a weird read for me. I really struggled to get into. Granted once I did, I could not put it down and read the last 200 pages in one sitting. The basic plot is that Audra and Vane are thrown together after Raiden and his Stormers learn where Vane has been hiding for the last 10 years. And it is Audra’s duty to protect Vane.

This book is about Vane coming into his windwalking powers, specifically those of being a sylph. The beginning of this book is very obscure in how you come to understand the lore behind sylph, for the most part you learn through what Vane is learning, but you also learn that there is more going on then what Audra is telling Vane. At times that was frustrating for me, but I understand why Shannon Messenger needed to keep us in the dark and leave us guessing. 

After about 100 pages of this book, it became much more interesting and it began to pull me into the story of Vane and Audra. However, the beginning was quite slow and unappealing at times. The relationship between Audra and Vane was strange. Vane has been helplessly in love with Audra ever since he was 7 and she “saved” him. He has been dreaming about her for years. But as they train together that is definitely when their relationship starts developing further. While they grow closer, it becomes more apparent that Audra is keeping things from Vane in the hopes of keeping him motivated with respect to his training.

After finishing the book and digesting it, the beginning was lacking. But I’m glad I stuck with it (not that there was ever really a doubt, I finish almost every book I start). Vane and Audra are special and have both gone through very traumatic childhoods. I really liked the progression of their relationship in this book. The rest of this trilogy will be interesting to see what Audra and Vane do next.

✶ ✶ ✶ and 1/2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment